Back in the day, the men searched the medicine cabinet for a razor and the generic can of shaving foam to achieve a smooth face. Today, the world of male grooming has changed, and a new crop of electric shavers has entered the fold, becoming an essential tool for modern man’s shaving.
Not only can these mechanical face clippers shave time and money off your grooming routine (adios, expensive blade refills!), but they also deliver clean-cut trims that feel as good as a standard razor. these are also the best electric razors for first-time shavers.
No one said that shopping for a shaver was a pastry walk through the pharmacy aisle. In fact, it can get pretty overwhelming, especially when every machine claims it’s the “best shave ever.” Our guide gives you insight into what you should look for when you’re shopping for an endless list of electric razors available today.
- 1 Are Electric Shavers Better?
- 2 What to Look For
- 3 Foil vs. Rotary
- 4 Best Budget Electric Shavers
- 5 Best Electric Shavers for Beards
- 6 Best Electric Shavers for Black Men
- 7 Best Portable Electric Shaver
Are Electric Shavers Better?
Skeptic that an electric shaver will meet your needs? Or do you even need one at all? We must allow a certain amount of subjectivity to be involved in grooming preferences, and that some people really enjoy the long routine of using a conventional straight razor to tame their regular facial hair growth, but electric razors deserve your consideration.
Here are some of the perks of switching to electric:
- Faster: You’ll save precious time every morning by grooming with an electric shaver
- Reduce skin irritation: Do you regularly suffer from ingrown hairs, cuts or nicks when you shave? Good news: electric shavers have a foil, that greatly reduces the chances of these facial disasters
- Mobility: With a traditional razor, you’re stuck near your shaving cream and running water, but with an electric razor, you’re free to move around or shave away from your bathroom
- Style your stubble: Traditional razors don’t offer you any control when it comes to your stubble. You’re either hairy or clean-shaven. But electric shavers come with adjustable blade lengths, meaning you can engineer the stubble length you desire
- Cheaper (in the long run): The upfront cost of an electric razor is nothing to sneeze at, and often deters people from taking the plunge, but the truth is, over the long run, electric razors are cheaper: you’ll save on shaving cream and replacement blades, meaning the electric razor will pay for itself in no time
Does this make electric shavers “better” than traditional blades? That’s up to you, but the benefits are undeniable.
What to Look For
- Closeness: There is a difference between using a beard trimmer to shave, and a proper electric razor. If you are looking for a clean shave, you won’t be satisfied with something designed to take a beard down.
- Comfort and convenience: You’re buying this product to make life easier, not add time to your daily routine. Note the difference in lower-priced models and their higher-priced counterparts as well as traditional foil shavers versus rotary models.
- Technology: Today’s crop of shavers are loaded with more hi-tech features than they used to be. Multifoil blades and more powerful motors are great upgrades but come at a price.
- Speed: Look for CPM (cycles per minute). The faster the cycles, the quicker the shave.
- Battery life: You shouldn’t settle for less than 50 to 60 minutes of power with cordless models.
- Durability: Increased lifespan justifies a higher price.
Foil vs. Rotary
A foil design hosts oscillating blades in a thin layer of foil to remove hair from the face, making it softer shaves. The foil lends itself to wider areas of the skin, such as the top of the head. Most of them come in three-or four-blade options.
- Not as adaptable to facial contours
- Works best when used in straight lines
Usually, these designs rely on flexible heads with spinning razors that are best suited for making tight turns across the neck. They’re even working well for the daily maintenance of a clean-shaven look. These apps also come with certain shave compromises.
- Eliminates hair in difficult areas more easily
- Considered a better overall performer by experts
- Offers more flexibility with minimal pressure
- Suitable for shaving every other day
- Quieter performance
- More prone to cause irritation
- Not designed for trimming and edging
In response to the growing trend of electric shavers, the market has seen an influx of models from some of the industry’s largest players, including Braun, Panasonic, Remington, and Philips Norelco, each sharing their own unique features. Most come with rotary heads or multi-directional blades for precise slicing, while others help dry and wet shaving. Then there are hybrid versions with features of both beard trimmers and standard electric razors.
If all of this seems like a lot to do, keep reading for our guide the best electric razors you can buy right now.
Best All-Purpose Electric Shavers
Braun Series 9
- Braun Series 9 is the worlds most efficient shaver*, T exceptionally gentle to your skin. Tested on 3-day beards vs. Leading premium tier products. Details on Braun.Com/study-results
- 5 synchronized shaving elements to capture more hair in the first stroke than any other premium shaver* tested on 3-day beards vs. Leading premium tier products. Details on Braun.Com/study-results
- 2 specialized trimmers, including titanium coating, capture even the trickiest hair ; 2x Opti-Foil For perfect closeness that lasts longer
Key features: Ergonomic design, elite cleaning system, great battery life, four-way shear system
Almost 100 years ago, Max Braun, a German mechanical engineer, created his company. Since then, Braun has taken design and engineering very seriously. This Series 9 9290cc is a wonderful piece of electrical shaving machinery, highlighted by its immaculate craftsmanship and exceptional quality.
Patented SyncroSonic Engineering brings significant horsepower, producing 40,000 “cross-cutting acts per minute” to achieve full shave without lathering. The four-way shear system conquers the three-day fine-grained stubble and includes a cleaning system and a travel case with a cleaning brush. If you need to be more convincing, read our full-length Series 9 review.
Philips Norelco 9000 Prestige Electric Shaver
- Welcome to Philips Norelco's best: Shaver 9000 Prestige. Championing our most advanced blades, contouring and design, this shaver is designed to deliver our closest shave without ever compromising on skin comfort
- Our most advanced shaving system includes precision blades that are strengthened with thousands of nano particles, comfort rings that glide smoothly over your skin, and 8-direction contouring heads that follow every curve of your face
- Effortlessly shave off even your dense beard with the BeardAdapt Sensor ; this built-in sensor checks your hair density 15 times per second, then automatically adapts the shaver to your face's needs
Key features: BeardAdapt Sensor, elegant design, multi-directional head, skin comfort system
The new electric shaver to reach store shelves is a hi-tech special sensor built into the system to calculate hair density and adjust the blade to better shave strands. No nicknames, no tugs. The three shaved heads are equipped with NanoTech precision blades (literally coated in nanoparticles to keep blades sharper longer), ensuring a super-close cut, right up to a seven-day stubble. SkinComfort rings also surround each of them and feature anti-friction coatings that improve gliding. Philips throws a click-on trimmer for beard and’ stache style, along with a luxurious travel case that complements the shaver’s executive look.
Best Budget Electric Shavers
Philips Norelco OneBlade Face + Body
- Philips Norelco OneBlade Face plus Body is a revolutionary grooming tool with technology designed for facial styling and body grooming; It can trim, edge and shave any length of hair
- The unique OneBlade shaving technology integrates a fast moving cutter (200x per second) with a dual protection system to give you both an efficient and comfortable shave, even on longer hairs
- Includes 2 blades (one for your face and one for your body), 4 stubble trimming combs, 1 body trimming comb, and 1 skin guard for extra protection while shaving sensitive areas
Key features: Multi-directional blade system, trimming length combs, long-lasting disposable blades
Is that a razor? Shaver? Shaver? Trimmer? Trimmer? Try all three of them. The OneBlade completes the grooming trifecta (at the killer value) with an all-purpose model that allows users to brush, shave and trim any hair length. Philips has incorporated a flexible cutting head that works at 200 passes per second with a dual-protection system that slices through longer lines without pulling the hair. The grip handle is impressive yet lightweight for the power it packs, with sturdy support to give users more confidence when shaving, and a 45-minute life after full load.
Braun Series 3 ProSkin
- Three independently floating shaving elements adapt to your contours for high comfort
- A specialised Micro Comb captures more hair in each stroke, for a faster and gentler shave; versus previous Braun series 3; tested on 3 days beard
- 45 minutes of shaving with no performance loss; a 5-minute quick charge is enough for one shave
Key features: Dominant grip control, precision trimmer, and dry/wet shaving
A mid-tier shaver with high-end performance, the Series 3 ProSkin is a reliable option for faster shaving and skin comfort and is perfect for newbies with an electric razor. The iconic head and MicroComb software direct the whiskers into the cutters for a quicker result. Pressure-sensitive blades allow smoother strokes and protect the skin from chafing or irritation. The precision trimmer built into the back complements facial styling by precisely shaping your stache and sideburns. Battery life is comparable to more expensive shavers, with a 45-minute battery life of a full charge or a full five-minute shave.
Best Electric Shavers for Beards
Remington F5-5800 Foil Shaver
- Intercept Shaving Technology Pre trims longer hairs
- Pivot and Flex Foil Technology Stays close to skin for smooth results
- Rechargeable Battery 60 minutes of cordless runtime
Key features: Attached trimmer, pivoting head, quick-charge feature
Getting a clean, smooth shave doesn’t always require the most expensive machine. Remington’s famous foil shaver is evidence that you can make quality shaves of a budget price. The tool lasts a full hour on a charge and features an intercept trimmer that sits between the two foils and seizes longer hair in fewer passes. That along with the integrated shape-up pop-up trimmer and the proprietary Pivot and Flex design these shifts with your grooves, make it impossible to forget this oscillating facial hair remover.
Panasonic Arc3 3-Blade Electric Shaver
- Floating, precision 3-blade shaving machine system for quick, smooth shaving and outstanding comfort.
- The Panasonic ES-LT3N uses an advanced 3D Multi-Flex Pivoting Head that moves up-and-down, side-to-side and back-and-forth to conform closely to facial contours for more efficient shavings.
- High-speed 13,000 cpm linear motor combines with shave sensor technology, which detects beard density and adjusts motor speed, to ensure a consistent, even shave.
Key features: Attached trimmer, cross-cutting action, shave sensor
If the more expensive Arc5 is out of your price range, rest easy knowing that you can get the same quality results from your brothers and sisters. This update is driven by a 10,000 CPM linear motor capable of slicing through a stubble for consistent shaving at multiple angles. Its biggest selling point remains the active shave sensor technology that detects and adjusts the power levels to match the hair density of the face, neck, and chin. A lightweight feel, a fast charge (one hour) and a good battery life (45 minutes) add value. Not bad with the low-end Arc option.
Philips Norelco Shaver 5750
- A close, fast shave. 75% of men beat their shaving time S5000 (no turbo) compared to Philips Click and Style
- Blade System - Blades raise then cut long and short hairs for a fast shave
- Five direction Flex Heads flex in 5 directions for a fast close shave
Key features: Multi-directional flex heads, smart cleaning system, turbo mode
Instant shaving is the quality most men want in their electric groomer. Philips ‘ budget-friendly shaver makes it easy with a Turbo mode that gives a 20% power boost to mow through dense parts of your beard. Using its unique MultiPrecision blade system to tackle facial fuzz, work alongside five-way flex heads to lift hair, then cut long and short lines with quick execution. Those who prefer dry shave will benefit from the Aquatec Wet and Dry technology without clapping water on their heads. The corresponding smart cleaning system sweetens the deal by washing, lubricating and paying the shaver for a solid hour of use.
Best Electric Shavers for Black Men
Black men have unique necessities of grooming due to differences in hair texture, thickness, and diameter. For these purposes, it is recommended that black men opt for foil models rather than rotary ones, as they can cope more effectively with thick, coarse hair, thereby reducing the risk of skin irritation. Here are some of our favorite models:
- Sharp Men's Shaver Blades: Panasonic Arc5 men's electric shaver with five ultra sharp precision honed 30° Nanotech blades and ultra thin Arc foil follow facial contours for a quick, close and comfortable shave
- Wet/Dry Electric Shaver and Trimmer 2 in 1: Built in pop up trimmer details mustaches, beards and sideburns; Wet/dry waterproof shaver allows for convenient shaving in or out of the shower
- Multi Flex Pivoting Head: Panasonic flexible pivoting electric shaver head glides effortlessly to trace the individual contours of face, chin, neck and jaw; Built in shaving sensor monitors differences in beard density and automatically adjusts cutting power for exceptional comfort
Key features: Automatic cleaning and charging, enhanced blade system, shaving sensor
High price and high performance, Panasonic’s flagship shaver model is improved by an integrated charging and cleaning dock and a stronger five-blade design. The ultra-thin nanotech blades are made of superior Japanese stainless steel, keeping in mind the strength and accuracy of the blades while preserving the performance of the construction. Expect 14,000 CPM action that maintains peak performance regardless of battery life— a full 45 minutes after only one hour of charging. It’s a great shower companion that can be immersed in water to make effective wet shaves. The trimmer and sensor are also designed to shape your face based on thickness.
Wahl LifeProof Foil Shaver
- Power & convenience - This travel-friendly rechargeable wet/dry electric shaver is shower & waterproof up to one meter. It features flexible foil cutters & a Pivot head for a comfortable shave, a no-slip grip & Travel lock, & LED charging light
- Lithium Ion power - Featuring a lithium ion battery that boasts a 90-minute run time for a charge time of 1 hour, plus a 5-Minute quick charge option for when you need a shave fast. The battery and can go up to one year between charges with no 'memory' issues
- Advanced foil technology - flexible foils move with you, providing a more comfortable shave, our advanced foil pattern provides smooth shaves & Features a long hair cutter bar as well as a full-size pop-up precision Trimmer detailer
Key features: Four colors, intuitive shaving blades, quick-charge capabilities
Wahl has built a credible reputation over the years with its barber-favored hair clippers, and the company’s line of electric shavers is quite impressive. LifeProof 7061-100 is a hot seller that packs high-quality features into a budget-friendly value. It’s made for dry and wet shaving with a shock and waterproof design built for longevity. The dual floating heads adapt to the contours of your face and neckline, leaving behind no stray hair. You can get 90 minutes of run time at full charge and full shave after just charging for one minute, thanks to its fast-charging capabilities. Customize your grooming collection by choosing from four different colors: gray, green, orange, etc.
Best Portable Electric Shaver
Braun M90 Mobile Shaver
- Wide Floating Foil - for close comfortable shaving
- The electric razor is washable - easy cleaning under running water
- The shavers come with a twist cap which protects the foil when not in use
Key features: Travel-friendly design, fully washable, and versatile trimming
The M90 remains a favorite for well-groomed travelers, thanks to its unique design features, from the integrated pop-up trimmer to its solid construction quality. Two AA batteries power the machine and generate up to an hour of shaving time, which is quite good for one of the older models on the market. It gives excellent close shaves and snatches short hair properly, although it takes a little more time to complete a full shave, as it only uses a single foil. The foil and the cutter can be removed for faster rinsing. We suggest choosing a more sophisticated version for everyday shaving but put this sucker in your Dopp package when you hit the road and you’re lucky.
Electric razors used to be for dads who had to slice through stubble quickly — and clean. Today, there are some options available that offer just as good a shave as a razor blade, can be used wet or dry, and don’t use a lot of plastic every time you need to buy a cartridge pack.
You Might Also Dig: