From an aesthetic perspective, I think that the Philips Norelco Shaver 6800 is one of Philips’s best I have seen in recent years. Developed with your skin in mind, it delivers a smooth result without compromising proximity. Read our in-depth review for Philips Norelco Shaver 6800 below.
Overview of Philips Norelco Shaver 6800
- Customer rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars (3,833 Ratings)
- Price: 4.5
- Performance: 4.6
- Ergonomic: 4.6
- Battery Life: 4.6
- Built Quality: 4.5
- Easy to Clean: 4.3
- Overall Rating: 4.5
Main Difference With Previous Model
The latest version of Philips Norelco Shaver 6800 came out at the end of 2019. The main difference between the newest version and the previous version is the blade opening mechanism and pop-out trimmer.
1. Blade Opening Mechanism for Thorough Cleaning
The latest version of Philips Norelco Shaver 6800 requires the user to disassemble it, set the blade assembly aside, remove and clean the clippings, clean the blade assembly, and then reassemble it. It’s inconvenient compared to the previous model.
The user presses the button; it will flip open the blade instantly, then put the blades and shaver clippings under running water to clean properly.
With this new model, it requires a bit more time cleaning, but the mechanism has solved the previous issue, whereas the blade will constantly unintentionally open during shaving. When this happens, all the cut hairs will go down on the user’s shirt.
Some users said this new version is much better in cutting and shaving than the new blade assembly layout and mechanism.
2. No Pop-Out Trimmer
As I have mentioned before, the previous version features a pop-out trimmer built into the main body; thus, it is convenient for the user just to click the button to use the trimmer. On the other hand, the new version does not have a pop-out trimmer, but you are given a trimmer or beard shaver attachment.
You just need to take off the razor head and replace it with the trimmer head to use the attachment. The best thing about the trimmer head is that you can adjust it for different hair length. Some users like the old model with a pop-out trimmer due to its convenience.
On the other hand, others prefer the new model because the trimmer works very well for trimming and styling the beard.
Philips Norelco Shaver 6800 Package
- Clean, close shave
- Extremely quiet
- Excellent wet shaving
- Great battery life
- 100% Waterproof
- Disassembling the heads is quite challenging
- No travel case
- No charging stand
- Main shaver body
- ON/OFF button
- 3-level Battery Indicator
- Need Cleaning Indicator
- Low Battery Indicator
- Need to Replace Shaver Head Indicator
- Travel Lock Button
- Unplug for use indicator
- Shaver Head
- 72 self-sharpening blades
- Skin guard mode to protect hard to reach area, especially below the neck area
- Flexible shaver head
- Trimmer Attachment
- 1 unit of clip-on trimmer best use for trimming sideburns, mustache or beard.
- Lithium-Ion Battery
- It takes 1 hour to charge fully
- 1 full charge can give you approximately 50 minutes of shaving session
- Comes also with a 3-level battery indicator on the shaver body. When the battery is fully charged, all three LED lights will shine, and when it is almost empty, the indicator will turn orange.
- 5-minute fast charging on zero battery can give you one shaving session that lasts for 5 to 6 minutes.
- It comes with a standard wall socket charger
- The shaver will not work when charging, so you need to disconnect the charger to use the shaver.
- It is not included with a charging stand
- No Travel Case or Pouch included in the package.
- Unfortunately, no travel case is included in this model, so you will need to buy the LTGEM Case for Philips Norelco.
Philips Norelco Shaver 6800 Features & Functions
1. ComfortGlide Rings
The light blue-coloured ring coating on each blade head is designed to be gliding smoothly on skin to give uniform shaving on all areas around the chin area. When you are shaving your beard and below the neck area, some shavers tend to be skipping some space, resulting in lousy shaving. The coating will reduce the friction between the shaver head and your skin in dry and wet conditions.
2. Self-Sharpening Blades
This shaver has 3 shaver heads, and each head contains exactly 24 blades that glide onto each other to sharpen when you are shaving. The shaver head can be used at least one year before you can change to a new shaver head for consistent shaving.
3. 100% Waterproof
Philips Norelco Shaver 6800 is waterproof, and you can use the machine to shave in dry and wet condition. You can use your favorite shaving cream if you prefer to shave with it. To clean the shaving machine, take the top off and run it under running water.
4. Skin Guard Mechanism
You can activate the Skin Guard Mode by pushing the shield icon. This mechanism works by reducing the motor rotational speed to make sure no accidental cutting when you try to shave hard-to-reach area such as in the below neck area and below the lips.
5. Trimmer Attachment
You are provided with one precision trimmer that you can replace with the shaver head once it is removed. You can use the trimmer attachment to trim your mustache, beard and sideburns after the shaving session.
Philips includes a 2-year warranty from the date of purchase for this Philips Norelco Shaver 6800. The warranty will cover the defects and motor, so you can get a one-to-one exchange if your Philips Norelco Shaver 6800 has any problem. You can call 1-800-243-3060 for any warranty assistance and questions.
7. 45-Day Money-Back Guarantee
For three weeks, you should use the Philips Norelco Shaver 6800 exclusively. This provides ample time for your hair and skin to adjust to the shaver working mechanism. If you’re not completely happy with your Philips Norelco Shaver 6800 after that time, send back the shaver along with your dated sales receipt, and Philips will give you a full refund.
Philips Norelco Shaver 6800 Improvement
- Philips Norelco Shaver 6800 does not come with a charger stand, while Philips Norelco Shaver 6900, which is only a $10 difference in price (when this review is published), has a charger stand and travel pouch. If you prefer to have the charging stand and travel pouch, it is better to purchase the Philips Norelco Shaver 6900 model.
- This particular model has received quite a few comments on how difficult to pop off the blade and clippings for cleaning. The method is quite simple, but some people have difficulty understanding the right way to do it. You can easily clean the shaver by running the shaver under the water, so there is no need to pop off the shaver head.
- If you need cleaning, which is required only after two or three months, you need to pop off the shaver head to clean the blade and clippings. You can download the manual for Philips Norelco Shaver 6800 and see page 24 for a detailed explanation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a charging port that connects directly to the power outlet on this razor?
The charging wire from the wall outlet is directly plugged into the razor’s bottom. Two things to bear in mind: it won’t run if it’s plugged in; it’ll only run on battery power, so make sure it’s charged and that the charging cable is put into the female hole in the razor. If water seeps up in there when rinsing, make sure it’s completely dry before plugging it in. If you plug in with moisture inside, the electricity will corrode the metal, leaving it unsafe.
Is there a docking station included for charging?
No, there isn’t a docking station included.
Is it possible to use a pre-shave oil or shaving cream with this electric razor?
The Philips Norelco Shaver 6800 (S6880/81) may be used with pre-shave oil and shaving cream.
Is there an electric cord on this razor so that you may use it with electricity?
I’m not looking for simply a rechargeable razor. While the cord is plugged in, you cannot use this razor. However, it offers a rapid charge option that allows the user to shave after only 5 minutes of charging.
Is there a pouch, a case, or anything else included?
There isn’t a travel bag, and there isn’t a case. You get a razor, a trimmer, and a charging wire.
Is this razor totally nickel-free, and will it cause nickel allergy?
The shaving heads of the shavers contain less than 10% nickel (none without nickel at all). If you have experience of nickel allergy, however, the shavers will not be an issue for you. Due to the brief time of skin contact during regular usage, even products containing 100 percent nickel are safe to use as the allergy is caused by nickel salts produced when a metal surface corrodes. As long as the shaver head is not corroded, any nickel allergy people can use it safely.
Which Philips Norelco Shaver 6800 replacement heads are available?
SH60 replacement blades are used with the Philips Norelco Shaver 6800 or 6880/81. You can purchase the replacement head via this link. Buy SH60 on Amazon
How frequently does the cleaning indicator appear?
A cleaning sign is something I’ve never seen before. After every shaving, I open the head and flush it with water. So far, I’ve had no issues with this razor. The cleaning reminder glows when you turn off the shaver, reminding you to clean it.
Is it okay if I use this in the shower?
You may clean the shaver by rinsing it under running water, but we don’t advocate using it while showering.
My Final Word
Philips Norelco Shaver 6800 is an excellent electric shaver and one of the best in its category and price range. The user reviews for this shaver is very positive, and some critics might be good for Phillips engineer to consider for upcoming updates in the newer model. I would recommend Philips Norelco Shaver 6800 for a man with a simple regular daily shaving routine.
Related Article: Philips Norelco Multigroom 9000 VS 7000 Ultimate Comparison
My name is Thomas Botello, and I live in Holly Oak, Delaware. I am working as an electronics repairman in the Holly Oak CIty. I enjoy writing my personal opinion on everyday life items. Here in this blog, I share my personal experience on electric shaver specifically.